Rolf Kentner Dissertation Prize
The Rolf Kentner Dissertation Prize awards outstanding work in the field of American studies. It is sponsored by one of the HCA’s most active benefactors, Rolf Kentner, chairman of the Schurman Society for American History, and endowed with € 1.000.
Submissions should be dissertations completed at a German university in the fields of American literature and culture, geography, history, art history, political science, religious studies, sociology, and constitutional law. Dissertations have to be unpublished at the time of submission, and can be either in German or English. It is possible to submit completed dissertations even though the doctoral examination has not yet taken place (but will take place in the near future). The dissertation should not be older than two years.
A multidisciplinary and international panel will select the winner. The award ceremony takes place annually in October at the Heidelberg Center for American Studies where the recipient is expected to give a talk on his/her work.
Juliane Braun (2014 recipient) and Rolf Kentner
- 2016: Birte Wege (Free University Berlin)
- 2015: Tom Kaden (Leipzig University)
- 2014: Juliane Braun (Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg)
- 2013: Jasper Trautsch (Free University Berlin)
- 2012: Leonard Schmieding (Leipzig University)
- 2011: Frank Usbeck (Leipzig University)
- 2010: Daniel Stein (Göttingen University)
The application must include (electronic version):
- one copy of your dissertation (German or English)
- abstract of your dissertation (in English only; two pages max.)
- two letters of recommendation (German or English; e.g. supervisors' reports on dissertation)
- CV (in English only)
The application deadline for the 2016 Rolf Kentner Dissertation Prize is March 31, 2017. The award ceremony will take place on October 19, 2017.
Please send your application to the following address:
Heidelberg Center for American Studies
Curt and Heidemarie Engelhorn Palais
“Rolf Kentner Dissertation Award”
69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Contact: Dr. Tobias Endler, email@example.com