International Ph.D. Exchange Network
The Heidelberg Center for American Studies (HCA) is currently building an international exchange network for Ph.D. students. In cooperation with American Studies institutes at a number of prestigious European and US-American universities, a vital scientific community is developing. It is meant to offer young and upcoming academics opportunities for international exchange, new perspectives, and sustainable networking.
The HCA, the Institute of North American Studies at King’s College London, the Department of American Studies at Charles University Prague, the Instituto Franklin de Investigación en Estudios Norteamericanos at the University of Alcalá near Madrid, and the Program in American Studies at Northwestern University in Evanston, USA, are weaving a net of high-quality research across Europe and the Atlantic.
Young as well as advanced scholars are thus offered a platform for initiating new and creative forms of cooperation such as participating in each other’s Ph.D. conferences, co-organizing summer schools, workshops, and seminars, giving guest lectures, and launching joint publications.
International Ph.D. Workshops
Another highlight is our annual international Ph.D. workshop, with the participating institutes taking turns in hosting it. Each workshop will be built around core areas of research at the respective institute:
- The kickoff meeting took place at the HCA in June 2013.
- Workshop No.1 took place at King’s College London on June 12, 2014: "American Identity: A Postgraduate Work-in-Progress Conference"
- Workshop No.2 took place at Charles University Prague from June 18-19, 2015 as the "Second American Studies Ph.D. Exchange Network Postgraduate Conference."
- Workshop No.3, "North America as a Multicultural Mosaic," will take place at the University of Alcalá, Spain, on June 16 and 17, 2016.
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae
- a one-page abstract about the aspect of the project you would like to present at the workshop
- a (1/2 page) letter of recommendation from your supervisor
Please contact Dr. Tobias Endler for more information.