Call for Papers
- The application process for the HCA Spring Academy 2018 is closed. The Call for Papers for the 16th Spring Academy in 2019 will be available in summer 2018.
Who can apply?
- Ph.D. candidates from all over the world whose project is in one of the different fields of American Studies (History, Literature, Cultural Studies, Law, Political Science, Religious Studies, Economics, Musicology, and Geography) may apply to the HCA Spring Academy.
- Among other topics, participants have presented projects on gender, identity, immigration, international relations, the Cold War, slavery, literature, and the history of sports.
- Though Ph.D. students in all stages of progress can benefit from the Spring Academy, we especially recommend it to Ph.D. students who have already done their research and are at the beginning of their writing phase as they can profit the most from the conference.
How to apply?
- In order to apply for the 2019 Spring Academy, please fill out and submit our online application form. The form will be available in summer 2018. Applications will be accepted until November 15, 2018.
- Selections will be made in January 2019.
- You do not need to submit a recommendation form, unless you are also applying for our Travel Fund (see below).
- We have a small Travel Fund available to cover travel expenses for participants registered and residing in developing and soft-currency countries.
- Scholarship applicants will need to document the necessity for financial aid and explain how they plan to cover any potentially remaining expenses.
- If you are applying for our Travel Fund, please download this form and mail it to your doctoral advisor. Completed forms need to be submitted by your doctoral advisor to email@example.com.