Admission to the M.A. in American Studies is access-restricted; thus, you need to fulfil the admission requirements listed on the "Requirements" tab on this page. The four-semester MAS program starts in the winter term (October) only.
- The new application deadline for international students is June 15.
- German students need to send in their documents by September 30.
- All application materials (including the proof of proficiency in English) need to be received by the deadline.
To apply for the MA program, you need to send the following documents by regular mail:
- Application form, only for international students
- University degree certificates & transcripts (certified copies)
- University entrance qualification (certified copy)
- Letter of motivation (app. 600 words)
- Proof of proficiency in English
Please read the information listed here carefully, as it mentions additional documents for international students.
German applicants may send their documents to the following address:
MAS Office / PD Dr. Philipp Löffler
Heidelberg Center for American Studies
Curt und Heidemarie Engelhorn Palais
International applicants may send their documents to the following address:
International Relations Office
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the program coordinator at email@example.com.
To apply for the MAS program, you need to provide the following documents:
- An above-average B.A. degree in American studies, English studies, geography, history, political science, religious studies/history, theology/church history, or a related field. The degree program should award 180 European credit points (CP) or have a length of at least three years of study.
- As a rule, 50% of the classes or 70 CP in your undergraduate degree should be in fields related to American Studies. Please note that the admission committee can make reasonable exceptions to this rule at its discretion. In any case, however, the amount of preparatory training you have received in fields related to American Studies must not be less than 20% of your previous classes or 28 CP.
- Please also keep in mind that you may make up for any missing credit points during our M.A. program.
- If you are still in the process of completing your B.A. degree, please provide a current transcript. Make sure that you are able to present your B.A. diploma upon registration in October.
- Proof of your English language proficiency, furnished by either
- TOEFL iBT: 90 points and at least 22 points in each subcategory
- IELTS: 7.0 points and at least 6.5 points in each subcategory
- Cambridge Proficiency Test: at least 185 points equivalent to C1/proficient user
- a high school diploma or a degree from an institution of higher education in an English-speaking country (Australia, Canada, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, UK, USA).
- A motivation letter written in English (600 words), in which you explain your educational background and its relation to the field of American Studies, as well as indicate the scholarly interests you plan to pursue within the M.A. in American Studies program.
If you have any questions about the admission requirements or your eligibility, please contact the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the statutory version of the admission requirements in German (Zulassungsordnung) is legally binding.