Applications for the M.A. in American Studies are accepted each year from February 1 to March 15 via Heidelberg University's online application system.
Admission is competitive and dependent on the academic merits of the candidates and the quality of their application. Applications are ranked according to the following criteria:
- Final grade (BA) 70% (or current GPA if BA degree is still incomplete)
- BA thesis 15%
- Language proficiency test 15%
The HCA admits up to 20 students to the MAS every year. Admission letters will be sent out in late April.
The four-semester MAS program starts in the winter term (October) only.
To apply for the MAS program, you need to provide the following documents:
- An above-average B.A. degree in American studies, English studies, geography, history, political science, religious studies/history, theology/church history, or a related field. The degree program should award 180 European credit points (CP) or have a length of at least three years of study.
- As a rule, 50% of the classes or 70 CP in your undergraduate degree should be in the discipline you will choose as your first core discipline in our M.A. program (geography, history, literature/culture, political science, religious history). Please note that the admission committee can make reasonable exceptions to this rule at its discretion. In any case, however, the amount of preparatory training you have received in your prospective first core discipline must not be less than 20% of your previous classes or 28 CP. In your second core discipline, at least 15 CP are required.
- Please also keep in mind that you may make up for any missing credit points during our M.A. program.
- If you are still in the process of completing your B.A. degree, please provide a current transcript. Make sure that you are able to present your B.A. diploma upon registration in October.
- Proof of your English language proficiency, furnished by either
- TOEFL iBT: 90 points and at least 22 points in each subcategory
- IELTS: 7.0 points and at least 6.5 points in each subcategory
- Cambridge Proficiency Test: at least 185 points equivalent to C1/proficient user
- a high school diploma or a degree from an institution of higher education in an English-speaking country (Australia, Canada, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, UK, USA).
- A motivation letter written in English (600 words), in which you explain your educational background and its relation to the field of American Studies, as well as indicate the scholarly interests you plan to pursue within the M.A. in American Studies program.
All documents need to be uploaded to Heidelberg University’s online application system.
If you have any questions about the admission requirements or your eligibility, please contact the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the statutory version of the admission requirements in German (Zulassungsordnung) is legally binding.