[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Mas Hdlife Rot

PD Dr. Philipp Löffler
Tuesday, 2.00 - 3.00 p.m.
HCA: Hauptstr. 120, Room 207

Jonas Faust, M.A.


For all BA and MA students having administrative issues–be it with the registration for seminars or credit points or the creation of a semester plan–there will be an office hour/consultation hour on Thursday, January 11, from 1pm to 2pm in the HCA's meeting room on the first floor.

The University of Heidelberg is currently in the process of implementing a new application system (HeiCO). In case the application through this system does not work, we will continue to accept applications by (non-electronic) mail.

Program Orientation Days

Module Handbook new

Module Handbook old

Course Catalog Summer Term 2024 (Last updated: April 2, 2024)

Course Catalog Archive

Honor Pledge Form

Student Committee
American Studies

American Studies

Der Fachrat ist die fachbezogene Zusammenkunft von Studierenden, akademischen Mitarbeitern und Hochschulprofessoren eines Instituts der Universität.

Home > MAS >

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the requirements for admission?

A: Applicants need at least 180 ECTS credits to qualify. Applicants who hold degrees from recognized academic institutions outside of the EU should have successfully completed degree programs of a minimum of three years of study. If you do not hold either a high school diploma or a degree from an institution of higher education in an English-speaking country (Australia, Canada, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, UK, USA), you must prove your English language proficiency through a TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate.

Q: You mention winter and summer semesters. How exactly is the academic year divided at Heidelberg University?

A: The academic year at Heidelberg University is divided into winter (October 1 – March 31) and summer semester (April 1 – September 30).

Q: Where and when do I apply for the MAS?

A: Applications are accepted until June 15 (international students) and September 30 (German students) each year. For further information, please see the Admission page.

Q: How much is the tuition fee for the MAS?

A: There is no tuition fee for citizens of the European Union (EU). International students from non-EU and non-EEA (European Economic Area - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) countries with a foreign university entrance qualification will be required to pay a tuition fee of EUR 1,500 per semester. International students with a German university entrance qualification are exempt from these tuition fees.

In a small number of cases, the law on tuition fees for international students provides for certain exceptions. These exceptions are outlined under § 5 of the Higher Education Fees Act (Landeshochschulgebührengesetz - LHGebG). If one of these cases applies to you, you are required to submit the respective verifying documents to Heidelberg University’s International Relations Office in order to be exempt from the obligation to pay tuition fees for the duration of your degree program.

International students with permission to reside (Aufenthaltsgestattung) in accordance with § 55, paragraph 1 of the Asylum Law (Asylgesetz), with a Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) protection rate (Schutzquote) of 50% or more or a disability in accordance with § 2 of the Ninth Book of the German Social Welfare Code (Neuntes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch) that considerably affects their ability to study may apply for exemption from the obligation to pay tuition fees for the standard period of study of their degree program.

In addition, the institutions of higher education are authorized to exempt up to 5% of international students from their obligation to pay tuition fees.

Q: Are there any additional expenses I have to keep in mind?

A: Please budget for a monthly minimum of 600 to 800 EUR for accommodation and other living expenses.

Q: Can I get a scholarship?

A:There are scholarships available for international students from the German Academic Exchange Service, Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Friedrich Ebert Foundation, Friedrich Naumann Foundation, Heinrich Böll Foundation, or the Erasmus-Mundus program for students from Western Balkan countries. These scholarships require that you contact those foundations directly.

Q: Do I still have to present my TOEFL test scores even if I hold a Master's degree in English literature and teach English at my university?

A: Yes, it is obligatory to present your TOEFL scores or scores of an equivalent standardized test to join the MAS program. We make exceptions only if 1.) you have a high school diploma from an English-speaking country, 2.) You hold a degree from a university in an English-speaking country.

Q: How much time will I have to invest each week for the program?

A: The MAS is a full-time master’s program. During the first semester, the weekly schedule consists of 12 hours of class work. Moreover, students are expected to prepare as well as review for class. The second and third semester each consist of 10 hours of class work and the Work Experience Module. The fourth semester is devoted to the completion of the thesis and the Research Colloquium.

Q: Do I need to know any German?

A: All MAS courses are taught in English. Thus, you will not need to know any German for this program. However, you can take advantage of attending a German course offered by the International Student Center at a subsidized rate.

Q: How much time does it take to get a student visa?

A: Please allow yourself at least 4 months to apply for and obtain a German student visa. The Foreigners Office in Heidelberg as well as the German Consulate/Embassy in your country process your visa application. Apart from furnishing required documents, we have no influence over the visa application process and are unable to provide any information or comment on the process.

Q: What is the housing situation at the University of Heidelberg?

A: International students are encouraged to use the Studierendenwerk’s ServicePackage. This ensures that students have a dormitory reserved upon arrival in Heidelberg.

Q: Where can I get more information about the MAS?

A: For further information on applying and related issues, please contact mas@uni-hd.de or call us at +49 6221 543713.

MAS: Email
Latest Revision: 2023-08-15
zum Seitenanfang/up