Authority and Trust
in American Culture, Society, History, and Politics
Welcome to the Graduiertenkolleg Authority and Trust in American Culture Society, History, and Politics (GKAT), a research training group at the Heidelberg Center for American Studies (HCA) funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (GRK 2244).
GKAT welcomes innovative doctoral dissertation projects in the field of American Studies, broadly defined, based on the following participating disciplines:
- Literary Studies/Cultural Studies
- Political Science/Social Science
- Religious Studies/Theology
The topical focus of GKAT’s interdisciplinary research program is the emergence and transformation of authority and trust in American politics, society, religion, literature and culture from the nineteenth century to the present.
In order to facilitate collaboration between the disciplines, we have designed three broad research areas that reflect local research interests but also concern, we believe, trouble areas of U.S. society and culture that are central to our theme:
- The Authority of the Modern State and Trust in Public and Social Institutions
- The Urban Dimension of Authority and Trust
- Authority and Trust in Culture, Literature, and Religion.
- Full-funding for three years: gross annual salaries – predicated on the German public sector remuneration system (TV‑L) – will start at € 28,600 plus benefits (health, nursing care, pensions, and unemployment).
- Collegiates who complete their dissertations within three years with outstanding success may apply for an additional year of funding.
- Funding for research trips to the United States based on the requirements of your project
- A stimulating interdisciplinary and international environment at Germany’s oldest university.
- An English-language program of courses and colloquia
- Collaborative networks of European and North American scholars
- Individualized mentoring
- A qualification program tailored to academic as well as professional career paths
- A family-friendly work environment for collegiates with children
If you are interested in the HCA’s regular PhD program, please find more information here.